department organization chart
Visit our "Be Safe" page for additional security information.
It Security Officer:
251 Hoggard Hall
Campus Box 5908
UNCW Information Security Certification Program
Required by all UNCW systems administrators and application developers. Obtain certification here.
Information Technology Security
The IT Security Office is charged with safeguarding the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all information processed, stored or transmitted using university electronic resources by:
- Providing comprehensive information security awareness and training.
- Ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local legislation relative to information security.
- Developing, promoting and reviewing UNCW information security policies.
- Conducting frequent information security inspections, audits and assessments.
- Taking proactive measures to counter threats, vulnerabilities and cyber-attacks.
- Reviewing Disaster Recovery/ Business Continuity plans and testing them via drills and exercises.
- Facilitating the ITS change management program.
- Conducting timely investigations and responses to computer security related incidents.
The IT Security Office is responsible for Computer Security Incident Response, including:
- Response to campus security incidents and threats including viruses, worms and other system compromises.
- Assistance with investigations initiated by UNCW police, the university auditor, University Counsel and other internal and external authorities.
Security Services and Technologies:
- Vulnerability Scanning Service - Remote scanning of campus computer systems to detect vulnerabilities.
- Network Monitoring - Watching for anomalous traffic and compromised systems on the campus networks.
- Client Security - Deployment of anti-virus and other security-related desktop system software for campus-wide use.
- Security Consulting - Assessing IT security in both central and college departments and assisting in development of local architectures and solutions.