Phishing Scam Alert
Monday, April 08, 2013
UNCW has recently become aware of a phishing and computer threat that is being sent to campus email accounts. Please be aware of the details regarding this phishing scam and others.
What to look for in this case:
Emails with the subject “Notice From The University of North Carolina Wilmington” that ask you to click on a link under a prompt that says “For security reasons, please use our website below to update your personal information.”
If you receive such an email:
- Do not click on any links within the email.
- Delete the email it from your Inbox.
If you happened to click on links in the email:
- Change your UNCW password.
- Run a scan with your antivirus software.
For future reference, watch for the following information to help identify potential scams:
- A generic greeting instead of the email being addressed specifically to you
- Unknown or unfamiliar email addresses
- Requests for confidential information
- Numerous spelling errors or typos
ITS does everything we can to keep SPAM, including phishing attacks, to a minimum. Occasionally a fraudulent message will get through, so we recommend that you keep your antivirus up to date and be aware of steps you can take to protect yourself.
If you do not have antivirus installed on your computer, you may download a free copy for your personal (non-UNCW) computer from the UNCW Antivirus Web Page. If you require assistance, please call the TAC at (910) 962-4357.