Financial Assistance Opportunities for Students in F-1 Status
Websites that offer scholarships to international students
Financial assistance from UNCW for international students is extremely limited, since the out-of-state tuition at UNCW is lower than at many comparable institutions. As such, we urge international students to look for outside sources of funding to help defray costs. The following are a sampling of websites that offer scholarships to international students:
UNCW Scholarships for International Students
In addition, the Office of International Programs administers several scholarships each year:
- International Student SAT Scholarship - $5000
- International Student Ambassador Scholarship - $5000
- Rotary Club of Wilmington Scholarship - $1800
Amount: $5,000 per academic year, up to $20,000 USD.
Students that submit an SAT score of 1300 or higher on the Evidence Based Reading & Writing and Math sections of the new SAT are eligible for $5,000 per year.
Amount: $5,000 for the academic year.
Terms: Recipients of the International Student Ambassador Scholarship are required to give presentations about their home country to classes at the university and to local schools, are required to serve as International Student Orientation volunteers, and assist the Office of International Programs with similar projects. Students may only apply for this award in the summer before commencing studies. This scholarship is only awarded to students who are about to commence their first year of attendance at UNCW (you must apply for this award in the summer prior to attending UNCW.)
To apply, students must submit the following essay, by email.
- Essay Topic: Pretend that you have been asked to give a presentation to a group of UNCW students. Your essay should focus on how studying abroad makes you a global citizen and why you chose to attend UNCW.
- Essay Length: at least 500 words
Application deadline: April 15
Award winner announced: April 21
Amount: $1,800 for the academic year.
Terms: Recipients of the Rotary Club of Wilmington Scholarship must have completed at least one semester at UNCW and earned a minimum grade point average of 3.5. The Rotary Club of Wilmington expects that students demonstrate potential for service to their home country. Students may reapply each year.
To apply, students must submit to the Office of International Programs:
- International Student Scholarship Application (PDF)
- UNCW Transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Reference from a UNCW professor (PDF)
- Essay Topic: Write an essay describing how you will realize the Rotary Club's goal of serving your home country.
- Essay Length: 250 - 500 words
Application deadline: May 15
Award winner announced: June 1
If you would like general information on Scholarships and Financial Aid,
please check the