Division of University Advancement
Director of Alumni Relations
Vacancy # 14E142
Position # 0190
The University of North Carolina Wilmington invites applications for the position of Director of Alumni Relations. This will be a full-time position. The Director of Alumni Relations will report to the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Advancement.
The Director of Alumni Relations will provide leadership in the overall planning of goals and objectives, to cultivate, maintain and enhance the university’s relationship with its 65,000+ alumni. Responsibilities include:
- Establishing, implementing and monitoring short and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Coordinating all alumni activities including: Reunions, alumni board meetings, homecoming, alumni receptions and other alumni special events. Responsible for directing, recruiting, training and stewardship of alumni volunteers as it relates to alumni events.
- Provide executive leadership to the Alumni Board of Directors.
- Developing annual plan including timeline, goals and objectives, in the context of university priorities and in collaboration with the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Advancement.
- Designing, establishing and maintaining an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates unit staff.
- Developing and managing annual budgets for the unit and the Alumni Association and performing periodic cost and productivity analyses as directed by the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Advancement. This position serves as executive director of the university’s alumni association, an incorporated nonprofit 501(c) 3 organization.
- Establishing and directing volunteer alumni programs such as reunions, homecoming, young alumni, annual awards and chapter development on campus and beyond. The Director of Alumni Relations is also responsible for recruiting, training and overseeing recognition and stewardship of volunteers.
- Plans and develops strategies and fundraising programs for generating revenue and resources for alumni programs, such as reunions and event sponsorships.
- Works in tandem with the advancement division to identify key alumni prospects.
- Creates and develops avenues of communication for all alumni including website and other electronic initiatives; develops and oversees publications and written material for alumni; serves as a key contributor for university’s alumni and friends.
- Oversees the management of the university-owned Wise Alumni House.
Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years successful leadership experience in a comprehensive university alumni relations program or in a professional role as a nonprofit leader including basic fundraising experience is required. Position requires the knowledge of principles and methods for the operation of a successful alumni engagement and giving program, ability to manage several projects simultaneously, excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated ability to work successfully with multiple constituencies, ability to fundraise, program development and implementation in a complex organization, supervise staff, computer skills, ability to manage an off-campus site. Position requires travel, flexible schedule and a valid driver’s license. Knowledge of UNCW culture is a plus. Preferred: Master’s degree and more than five years of successful management experience with a comprehensive university alumni program; a UNCW alumnus/alumna with significant experience in the field and all of the above skills and abilities gained from experience.
To apply, please complete the online application process available on the Web at http://consensus.uncw.edu. A letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references should be addressed to the Director of Alumni Relations Search Committee, and attached to the online application – not emailed or mailed. Attachments must be either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF documents. For questions regarding the online application process, please contact Human Resources at (910) 962-3160. Under North Carolina law, applications and related materials are confidential personnel documents and not subject to public release. Priority consideration will be given to online applications received by July 18, 2014, (extended from original date of July 5) but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. .
UNC Wilmington actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal-opportunity employer. Qualified men and women from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.