Director, Entrepreneurship Center
Vacancy # 13E023
Position # 6867
The University of North Carolina, Wilmington, is seeking a Director for its Entrepreneurship Center (EC). The Director is responsible for providing leadership and vision for the EC and measurable impact in the community as demonstrated by increased business starts and expansion of existing area businesses. The Director is also responsible for cultivating student entrepreneurs and encouraging faculty entrepreneurs across the University. The successful candidate will work with the EC Advisory Board and directly interface with local government, business community, economic development entities, faculty, staff, and students. The Director reports directly to the University’s Chief of Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities: The director must be a self-starter with a strong operational focus, and possess the ability to make critical judgments.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Implement the EC strategic plan to further the vision and mission of being the "go-to" resource for entrepreneurship and job creation in the region.
- Develop and execute an operational plan for the EC.
- Build and engage the advisory board as advocates and collaborators in growing the EC.
- Develop strong relationships within the greater Wilmington business community and serve as a "connector" between the entrepreneurial community and the EC.
- Organize and implement workshops, speakers and conferences related to relevant business needs in the region.
- Collaborate with Cameron School of Business faculty and administration to deliver EC programming, experiential learning for students and a University-wide entrepreneurship minor.
- Supervise professional and student support staff.
- Collaborate with other entities within the university community.
- Develop and manage an operational budget.
Minimum Qualifications: Masters degree required, preferably in business, marketing or related field, with five to ten years of operational management experience. Prior entrepreneurial experience and knowledge of the region’s business and entrepreneurial environment is highly desirable.
Required skills and attributes include:
- Financial acuity and budget management
- Strong operational and project management focus
- Solid experience in business development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with multiple constituents.
To apply, please complete the online application process available on the web at http://consensus.uncw.edu. A letter of application, curriculum vita and contact information (including e-mail address) for three current professional references should be addressed to the Entrepreneur Center Search Committee and attached to the online application – not e-mailed or mailed. Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF attachments are specifically preferred. Letters of reference will be required for highly ranked candidates. For questions regarding the online application process, contact Jennifer Coombs at 910.962.3196. Under North Carolina law, applications and related materials are confidential personnel documents and are not subject to public release. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by October 15, 2012.
UNC Wilmington actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal-opportunity employer. Qualified men and women from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.