To claim Veterans' Preference, eligible individuals must submit a DD Form 214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty at the time of application to:
UNCW Human Resources
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5960
To ensure proper handling, please note the vacancy number and title on your correspondence.
Who is Eligible?
"Veteran" means a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, for reasons other than training, and was discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
"Elgibile Veteran" means:
- a veteran who served during a period of war; or
- the spouse of a disabled veteran; or<
- the surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran who died on active duty during a period of war either directly or indirectly as a result of such service; or
- a veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or
- the spouse of a veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or
- the surviving spouse or dependent of a person who died for service-related reasons during peacetime.
What periods are included?
- December 7, 1941 -- May 15, 1975
- June 6, 1983 -- December 1, 1987
- December 20, 1989 -- January 31, 1990
- August 2, 1990 -- The date approved by Congress or the President as the ending date for hostilities for the War on Terrorism
- Or, any other campaign, expedition or engagement for which a campaign badge or medal is authorized by the United States Department of Defense.
North Carolina Office of State Personnel
July 27, 2007