Director, Entrepreneurship Center
Vacancy # 13E076
Position # 6956
The University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW), is seeking a visionary and resourceful leader to become Director for its newly reorganized Entrepreneurship Center (EC). The Director will encourage and facilitate the creation of new businesses and growth of emerging ventures to enhance economic development, employment opportunities, and the quality of place for the region. The director will collaborate closely with the Chancellor’s Community Partnership Office, the Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC), the UNCW Swain Center for Business & Economic Services, with businesses, government agencies and investors to leverage and nurture the extraordinary entrepreneurial spirit of Wilmington and Southeastern North Carolina. The Director will work with an Advisory Board and report to the University’s Chief of Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Collaboratively create and implement a vision that positions UNCW’s Entrepreneurship Center as the nexus of entrepreneurship and job creation in the region.
- Develop a regional platform for understanding, coordinating and building entrepreneurial, business and economic development activities.
- Collaborate with Cameron School of Business, College of Health and Human Services, College of Arts and Sciences, Watson College of Education, Graduate School and the Center for Marine Sciences faculty and administration to deliver EC programming, experiential learning for students and University-wide entrepreneurship education including UNCW’s Entrepreneurship Week and Business Plan Competition.
- Manage the day to day operations of the Entrepreneurship Center.
The Director must demonstrate:
- The ability to work collaboratively with the Entrepreneurship Center Advisory Board, local government, the business community, economic development entities, faculty, staff, and students.
- The ability to develop and manage various events and activities throughout the year.
- To ability to oversee the Entrepreneurship Center’s operations and facility to further develop the role of the Entrepreneurship Center.
- An understanding of the principles of private philanthropic fundraising.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- A high capacity for networking.
- The ability to manage staff and budget.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree preferably in business, marketing or related field and at least five years of operational management experience required. Prior entrepreneurial experience and knowledge of the region’s business and entrepreneurial environment are highly desirable. Candidates who do not meet all these experience requirements may be considered if they have an exceptional background that applies to this position.
Required skills and attributes include:
- Solid experience in business development
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with multiple constituents.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong operational and project management focus
- Financial acuity and budget management
- Understanding of fundraising processes
To apply, please complete the online application process available on the web at http://consensus.uncw.edu. A letter of application, curriculum vita and contact information (including e-mail address) for three current professional references should be addressed to the Entrepreneurship Center Search Committee and attached to the online application – not e-mailed or mailed. Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF attachments are specifically preferred. For questions regarding the online application process, contact Jennifer Coombs at 910.962.3196 or firstname.lastname@example.org Under North Carolina law, applications and related materials are confidential personnel documents and are not subject to public release without the applicant’s permission. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by April 12, 2013.
UNCW actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified men and women from all racial, ethnic, or other minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.