Intake, National Pan-Hellenic Council
Both undergraduate and graduate/alumni chapter members must realize that bringing new members into the NPHC affiliate organization is based upon the aspirant's possession of specific qualifications. Individual chapters must be guided by membership identification and selection standards which will promote the building of a strong and effective chapter. There are three important components in the membership intake process for NPHC affiliate organizations.Generally, the intake process includes:
- A pre induction/ orientation period.
- The final induction period.
- An in-depth education program.
Each affiliate organization implements the guidelines and details of its own membership intake process. Any violations of an organization's set program should be referred directly to that organization's leadership or national headquarters. The final pledge is the oath of allegiance taken by a candidate from which he/she cannot withdraw. Each organization has its own ceremony, but all basically have the objective that this rite is intended to be impressive.
- Each chapter must file, in the designated place and the specified time for the college and member organization, a list of intended candidates.
- No chapter event shall be held without the presence of at least one chapter member or advisor.
- Hazing in any form, including physical and mental abuse, is prohibited and will not be tolerated.
- No person who has resigned from one sorority or fraternity may hold membership in any other organization in the NPHC.
- Each member organization determines its own rules governing membership in other Greek letter organizations which are nonmembers of the NPHC.