Who are transient students?
Transient students are University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) degree-seeking students that take classes at another institution without transferring. UNCW is considered to be the home institution and the school you will be attending is the host institution.
Federal regulations prohibit students from receiving aid at more than one institution during the same academic term. Therefore, all requests for financial aid during terms of transient study must be filed with UNCW, not the host institution.
In order for transient students to receive financial aid, students must:
- Complete the requirements for transient study as outlined by the Office of the Registrar.
- Register and pay out of pocket for all courses at host institution.
- Submit a completed Transient Study Request for Financial Aid form to UNCW's Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.
Once these steps have been taken, the following will take place:
- UNCW's Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will then award financial aid for the transient term based on the total number of hours that you are enrolled at UNCW and the host institution.
- It is your responsibility to make sure that the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid and the Office of the Registrar at UNCW receive a final copy of the academic transcript from the host school after the transient term is over by the scheduled deadlines indicated on the Transient Study Form. If transcripts are not received, financial aid may be canceled for that term, and future requests will be denied. The Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will accept an unofficial transcript until official transcripts are available.
Financial Aid for Visiting Students: Non-UNC Wilmington Students Enrolled in Classes
If UNCW is not your home institution, you are not eligible to receive financial aid through UNCW. You must contact your home institution's financial aid office to request financial aid for transient study at UNCW.