Minutes for Faculty Senate Meeting
13 September 2011
2:00 p.m. EB 162
Meeting 2011-09

1.      Meeting started at 2 p.m.

 

Chairman, Secretary, and Quorum were present. Roll sign-in (Electronically)

 

Absent:  Not applicable

2.      Approval of April 2011 Minutes

         The April minutes were approved.

         Special order of the day:
Senate Officers and other steering committee members for 2011-2012 were elected:

o   Patty Turrisi: Vice President, Philosophy and Religion

o   Jess Boersma: Secretary, Foreign Languages and Literature

o   Steering Committee:

  Jennifer Horan, Public and International Affairs

  Andy Jackson, Psychology

  Ed Graham, Economics and Finance

  Pamela Evers, Accountancy and business Law

Bruce McKinney, as the previous Faculty Senate President, will continue to serve on the Steering Committee.

4.      Individual Reports

a.       Chancellor Miller.

         Discussed the importance of shared governance.

         He will share information from the Board of Governors on a regular basis:

o   He reiterated what is in Tim Ross� report to the Board.

o   We have developed a new set of peer institutions that will go before the board for approval. We needed to be matched correctly in terms of tuition, salary, research, etc.

o   We will continue to consider graduation and retention rates.

o   Faculty retention and workload will be examined. The Texas model is being considered.

o   They will look at performance funding. We will continue to focus on research.

o   Tuition planning will be discussed and may work in our favor. There may be some adjustment in the out-of-state rules. This will work for us due to the large numbers of out of state students.

o   General administration will re-examine program duplication.

         We have a great university and a number of challenges; looking forward to working closely with the Senators to continue to be among the best Universities in the system.

         Encouraged faculty to think about pressures on this University, being held to a higher level of accountability.

         Fiscal environment will not get better for awhile, but we have leadership that believes in flexibility and getting external revenue.

         We will find new ways of doing things that save money and time that allow us to continue to achieve excellence. We will do more but differently. We will be asking faculty to step up and participate in forums that address this.

b.      President of the Senate Lugo.

         Shared  governance (AFT Higher Education).

o   His main principle: to defend shared governance and academic freedom

o   To be effective we must become more participatory. We need to use our own faculty and resources to improve.

o   Let�s streamline the work we do by becoming paperless. For example SPOTS can be moved to an electronic system in the classroom.

o   We will bring the most important matters to the Senate and conduct other business through other means such as the new system that will be demonstrated.

           Handbook.

o   This project is shared between the faculty and Academic Affairs. The Senate will be engaged. He showed an electronic version of the handbook, which is being created. The electronic version will be searchable via PDF.

         Senate forum demo. (Jarrett Piner)

o   The website is https://share.uncw.edu

o   Once you log-in there are a number of team sites listed, click on the link for Faculty Senate.

o   The various features (ask a question, the calendar, submit an agenda item, etc) were displayed and described.

5.      SACS � Update

a.       Martin Posey.

         Provided an overview of what the Faculty Senate will be looking at over the upcoming months.

         The PowerPoint contained a timeline and listed focal areas.

         This year SACS will be looking at faculty credentialing and policy

         The faculty senate will be dealing with multiple issues as it pertains to SACS

         About 75% of the syllabi include a brief description of the course, all faculty are encouraged to do this.

b.      Kim Cook.

         The pilot for QEP on applied learning is running this fall

         The Membership on the QEP taskforce has changed.

         Detailed information about the pilot will be provided at the upcoming forums (handout).

          The new QEP Task force will work collaboratively with the Pilot team

         E-Teal is the acronym will be using. It stands for experiencing Transformative education through applied learning.

         We will work together to create the best QEP possible

         We need to define what applied learning means to us. We will decide how we will measure what students gain from applied learning experiences and how will we evaluate these experiences.

         QEP Ambassadors will be invited to participate in the process again and we will expand the number of people who are involved. If you�re interested in being an ambassador or know people who are interested contact Kim Cook (cook AT uncw.edu).

6.      Committee Reports

a.       The Evaluation Committee offers the following motions:

Diana Ashe spoke about the report based on the recommendations that were examined earlier this year by the evaluation committee (PowerPoint)

[Motion 2011-09-M01]: (From 2011-12 committee)
That beginning in the fall semester of 2011, all courses categorized as information highway (INHWY), remote (REMOT) or web-enhanced (WEBE) will be administered online student evaluations as their default option. Instructors of WEBE courses may opt for paper-based student evaluations by making a written request to their department chairs before the fifth week of classes each semester.

         Discussion/Sample questions from the floor:

o   Are we considering extreme positive or negative responses correctly?

o   How are we ensuring that not only student evaluations are being considered in the RPT process?

o   How much of the process can be automated?

o   What do we do about the SPOTS we have now?

o   What do we do about SPOTS long term?

The motion was approved.

[Motion 2011-09-M02]: (From 2010-11 committee)
That in the fall semester of 2011, IDEA Center and IOTA Solutions representatives be invited to campus to meet with members of the Faculty Senate so that we may consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of moving to an off-site evaluation provider.

   2010 Ad-hoc committee report on SPOT/RPT.

   2011_09 evaluation Committee report on SPOT.

Discussion/Sample questions:

         How much are we paying for these people to visit?

         There is no harm in having them visit.

         Instrument and delivery/process are being considered simultaneously

The motion was approved.

b.      The University Studies Committee offers the following motions:
[Motion 2011-09-M03]:
US-Phase II motions.

   Explorations Beyond the Classroom and Thematic Transdisciplinary Clusters. (2011)

   Review of General Education.2009 Basic Studies report � approved.

The discussion was started, but halted due to time constraints. The conversation will continue via SharePoint so that a vote can be taken at the October faculty senate meeting.

7.      Old Business

8.      New Business

9.      Announcements

10.  Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 3:58 p.m.