Graduate Admissions Guidelines
For admission to the graduate program in English, applicants must have/do the following:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in this country or its equivalent from a foreign university
- Have a strong overall academic record with a B average or better in the undergraduate major
- Submit satisfactory scores, attained within the last five years, on the general test of the Graduate Record Examination
- Submit a personal statement explaining why attending graduate school in English would help you to achieve your professional goals
- Submit a writing sample of ten pages that involves a critical analysis of a text or texts and is accompanied by a bibliography citing appropriate secondary sources in correct MLA format.
Students who are taking or have taken graduate work elsewhere must be in good standing at that institution to be eligible to take graduate work at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Admission decisions are based on an evaluation of the student's complete record.
Documents to be submitted for graduate admission include the following:
- An application for graduate admission
- Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate)
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) not more than five years old
- Three academic recommendations (forms are provided with the application), addressing the applicant's demonstrated academic skills and/or potential for successful graduate study
- An essay that addresses the applicant's purpose for graduate study focusing on how attending graduate school in English will help the applicant to achieve their professional goals. The essay should be no longer than 1-2 pages (approximately 500-600 words).
- Evidence of a Bachelor's degree at the time of entrance
- A ten-page analytical writing sample that includes a bibliography citing secondary sources in correct MLA format.
The deadline for fall admission is May 1 at 11:59 p.m. EST of that same year.
However, to be considered for teaching assistantships, students should apply by March 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
The deadline for spring admission (of the following year) is November 1 at 11:59 p.m. EST.