Overview of the admissions process for all international applicants includes:
- General Information
- Application Deadlines
- Special International Applicant Requirements
- Language Requirement (TOEFL)
- Test Scores
An international student is anyone who is NOT:
- a U.S. citizen
- a permanent resident alien of the United States
International applicants must meet the same academic requirements as domestic students but application procedures and materials may differ.
In particular, application deadlines for most international applicants are earlier than those for domestic applicants. This is to ensure adequate time for the issuance of visa documents.
All international applicants may apply up to one year in advance of the desired term of entry.
Priority is given to applications that are received on or before the deadlines below. Applications received after these deadlines will be processed for the term requested but we cannot guarantee that the applicant will be admitted/receive necessary immigration documents for the requested term if the application is late.
International applicants who are not in the United States and will need an F-1 visa to come to UNCW are strongly encouraged the apply by the deadlines below.
- Fall Term - March 15
- Spring Term - October 1
- Summer I & II - February 1
The University of North Carolina at Wilmington requires all
international applicants to provide the following:
- official copies of school transcripts in their original language
- notarized or certified translations of the school transcripts in English (if applicable)
- official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- All international applicants for whom English is not the native tongue must provide proof of competence in the English language.
- International applicants from non English-speaking countries must provide a minimum TOEFL score of 213 (computer-based test) or 550 (written test), taken within 2 years of the desired term of entry. See also English Speaking Countries for list of nations from which an applicant will not be required to submit TOEFL scores.
- Graduate-level international applicants seeking teaching assistantships must also provide proof of spoken English language competence and may be asked to provide acceptable TSE scores.
- See TOEFL Exemptions for conditions under which the TOEFL may be waived.
- Applicants who are unable to meet this requirement should contact UNCW ESL Program for information on its English as a Second Language classes for international students.
- For those applicants who do not meet the TOFFL requirements, UNCW offers Conditional Acceptance to degree program for those students who successfully complete the UNCW ESL program and are academically admissible to the University.
- Applicants are encouraged to take any required tests as early as possible to avoid delays in the processing of their applications.
- Photocopies of score reports should be included in the application packet whenever possible to expedite processing. NOTE: photocopies are considered unofficial and any admission to UNCW made based upon unofficial scores will not be finalized until official scores are received.
- All standardized test scores for the GRE, MAT, and TOEFL must be submitted to UNCW from the Educational Testing Service to be considered official. The institution code for UNCW is 5907.
- TOEFL scores must be dated within 2 years of the desired term to be considered. The minimum required score is 213 on the computer-based test, or 550 on the paper-based test. See also Language Requirement.
- GRE/MAT scores must be dated within 5 years of the desired term of entry to be considered.
- Documents submitted become the property of the University of North Carolina Wilmington and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to another institution.
To learn more about International Student programs at UNCW, visit www.uncw.edu/international/.