Bachelor of Arts in Geography
The Department of Geography and Geology at the University of North Carolina Wilmington offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in geography. Students who pursue the B.A. degree in geography may choose from a broad, flexible program that meets personal educational goals and interests, including careers and graduate study in physical or human geography, planning or applied geography.
Student Learning Outcomes for the B.A. degree in Geography
1: MAP SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Design a map that clearly demonstrates a geographic pattern or process.
- Read and explain information displayed on specialized thematic maps
2: RESEARCH SKILLS. Students should be able to …
- Collect data and information related to geographic problems
- Critically assess the format, value, and limitations of various data and information sources.
3: ANALYTICAL SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Manipulate geographic information in digital formats
- Determine and explain how a general geographic model or concept applies to a specific place, culture, or environmental system.
4: COMMUNICATION SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Deliver an oral presentation that clearly explains geographical methods and concepts.
- Write a research paper or project report that synthesizes information from various sources to explain geographical methods and concepts.
- Describe the methods used to address a geographical problem or issue.