Policies and Procedures
Disability Resource Center Mission Statement
The University of North Carolina at Wilmington is open and accessible to students with disabilities. We are committed to providing assistance to enable qualified students to accomplish their educational goals, as well as assuring equal opportunity to derive all of the benefits of campus life.
The Disability Resource Center has devoted much energy to meeting the requirements of Section 504, Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and its amendments, and to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The Disability Resource Center serves as a full-time advocate for students with disabilities, as well as a resource for faculty, staff and administration.
Policy of Nondiscrimination
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) gives individuals with disabilities civil rights protection that is similar to that provided to all individuals on the basis of race, sex, national origin, and religion. The act guarantees equal opportunity in employment, public accommodations, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications.
In addition, Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation act states: "No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States shall, solely on the basis of his/her handicap, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance".
The policy at The University of North Carolina at Wilmington is consistent with the ADA and Section 504. UNCW is open and accessible to students with disabilities. We are committed to providing assistance to enable qualified students to accomplish their educational goals as well as assuring equal opportunity to derive all of the benefits of campus life.
Grievance and Appeal Procedures
UNCW's Grade Appeal Procedures are described within the Academic Catalogue
Students enrolled in Distance Education courses who wish to request and receive accommodations must submit current documentation to the Director of Disability Resource Center.
All students may ask for housing considerations. However, students with disabilities living in UNCW residences may request reasonable accommodations in order to benefit from their living environment. Housing accommodations for students with documented disabilities must be based on the standard of equal opportunity, and not on a perceived benefit, to the student.
Students must request housing accommodations in advance of moving into campus housing facilities. Housing needs should be discussed with Housing and Residence Life Office well in advance of enrollment. Requests made after posted HRL timelines may result in delays to accommodations being available. Students must submit the University Housing Accommodation Request Form directly to the DRC, along with any other documentation.
Disability Accommodation Request for University Housing Useful Information:
- Residence halls are equipped with elevators and are generally accessible throughout.
- Requests for single rooms based on a student's desire to have a quiet, undisturbed place to study, are generally not supported and unable to be approved. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of occupants living in the residence halls, a single room does not provide for such quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard room.
- Should a request not be supported by DRC, students may still ask for consideration from Housing and Residence Life. Any non-disability requests are at the discretion of Housing and Residence Life.
- Students on housing waiting lists do not receive priority over other students on the basis of having a disability. (However, should one be granted a housing assignment, disability-related accommodations can be requested.)
UNCW Evacuation Procedure for Students with Disabilities
- Evacuation Policy & Procedure: (PDF)
Personal Care Attendant
Students who wish to bring, or use a Personal Care Attendant in the residential environment at UNCW must meet the requirements of the UNCW Personal Care Attendant Policy.
Attendance Leniency Request Policy
- Attendance Leniency Request Policy: (PDF)