CMS :: Facilities
The original $17.5 million UNCW Center for Marine Science was completed in 2000 with a total of 75,000 square feet of net indoor space including:
- Teaching auditorium for up to 150 individuals
- Classrooms and marine science labs
- Running seawater system which provides raw unfiltered and purified seawater at flow rates up to 600 liters/min.
- Greenhouse with running seawater
- Aquarium room and outdoor tanks with running seawater
- 900-foot pier with docking facilities
In the spring of 2008, the 24,000 square foot addition was completed. This one-story addition with a second floor mechanical loft adds:
- 37 individual offices
- Five shops (Dive, Oceanographic Instrumentation with 7,000 gallon seawater test tank, Aquaculture and Boat Repair)
- Four labs (Instrument Fabrication, Biotechnology (2) and NCNERR)
- A dive compressor room
- Conference room with full voice and data capabilities
In the summer of 2010, the $4.3 million 11,000 square foot Shellfish Research Hatchery was completed, and in 2013, the 70,000 square foot Marine Biotechnology building opened.
Click on a link below to learn more about CMS facilities and operations: