2015 Upcoming Events
- Thursday, March 26, 4 p.m., CIE - Building a successful product and innovation based company in NC - With the growth of the partnership between CIE and the MakerSpace, the MakerSpace has over 20 new product based companies in Wilmington from a Bluetooth based pet dish to a potential solution for COPD victims. Come hear from Aly Khalifa, Founder of Gamila Products/Design Box about his experience. RSVP now!
- Beginning February 17, CIE - Boot Camp for Entrepreneurs - An 8-session, 3-month long boot camp open for 12 participants. REGISTRATION IS FULL - to be considered for the next Boot Camp, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Every Wednesday, 8:30 a.m., CIE - High Tide Breakfast - Two 6 minute value proposition pitches from two startups and one introduction to a local or visiting mentor. Students and community are welcome to help building our startup community. RSVP to: email@example.com
CIE in the News
- Tick-killing robot inventors open business office in Wilmington - Triangle Business Journal, 03.05.15
- UNC Wilmington Focuses on Building Region's Biotech and Medical Industries - Time Warner Cable News, 02.26.15
- Wireless Technology Goes To The Dogs - GWBJ, 02.17.15
- Why a new focus on entrepreneurship in Wilmington? - WRAL TechWire, 02.09.15
- Wilmington-based company says it's built a better baby bottle - Star News, 02.07.15
- 2014: Wilmington Proved It's a Town for Tourists And Startups - ExitEvent, 12.31.14
- UNCW's CIE Supports Veterans on the Road to Entrepreneurship - UNCW, 12.22.14
- Event Explores Social Marketing, Celebrates 'great' Year For Center - GWBJ, 12.18.14
2015 NEW Programs
Weekly High Tide Breakfasts
Two startups have 6 minutes to provide value proposition pitches followed by Q&A. Then a guest mentor is provided 6 minutes to share with the group their experiences and how they can help the startups at CIE.
Entrepreneur Boot Camp
Eight week program for CIE tenants and members, inspired by TechStars, for startups to hear from experienced entrepreneurs and investors about company architecture, selling, branding and marketing, financial modeling, and several other key topics to build a successful startup. At the end of camp, startups have the opportunity to participate in a Rocket Pitch style event.
CIE tenants are provided opportunities to meet with visiting speakers and prensenters, usually around a scheduled event, to meet one on one for feedback to help grow their startups the right way.
CIE tenants and student startups who need media assistance such as photos, videos, and/or podcasts have access to the new CIE media room. Film Studies interns are available to assist with your project needs. Have a project? Complete this form to apply for assistance!
Other Programs and Support
Annual Coastal Entrepreneurship Awards
This annual event provides an opportunity for local entrepreneurs and growing companies to be recognized for their innovation and achievements. Ten category winners and entrepreneur of the year award are selected by a distinguished panel of judges and announced at the awards ceremony.
Rocket Pitch and Pivot Pitch Events
This once semi-annual and highly publicized event selects up to five of the Cape Fear region’s most exciting emerging startup companies and provides a venue for each founder to deliver a 10-minute presentation on the business and financial model, product(s), growth strategy, risks and resources needed.
UNCW Global Entrepreneurship Week
The CIE is proud to host local events as part of this worldwide week in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation that has inspired more than 10 million people in 102 countries, touching aspiring entrepreneurs from major cities to remote villages through some 58,000 events.
Fall 2013 Rocket Pitch Videos:
Spring 2012 Rocket Pitch Videos:
- Elizabeth Logan: MyoMed
- Dan Tompkins: The Teacher Registry
- Shaun Olsen: Cloud Wyze
- Kristen Beckmeyer: PipeView Technologies, LLC
- Terry Linehan: An Independent Film
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
A key partner, the SBTDC provides free counseling services to entrepreneurs and business owners covering the complete range of key topics including managing finances, developing a marketing plan and managing a growing venture.
Have a Program Idea or Recommendation?
The UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship always welcomes recommendations and ideas for improving existing programs and introducing new ones that help support its mission and the entrepreneurship community.