More Upcoming Events
- August 11, 2014, 4 p.m. - The Business of Beer at the Beach - David Gardner, Angel Investor for Fortnight Brewing Company, Dino Radosta of White Street Brewing Company, and Derek Allen and Hayley Wells of Ward and Smith, P.A. will be here to discuss the growing business of microbreweries in North Carolina. Email email@example.com to RSVP. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, Ward and Smith, P.A.
- August 14, 2014, 10 a.m. - NC IDEA Fall 2014 Wilmington Info Session - For those interested in applying for NC IDEA Grants are encouraged to attend this free info session. Companies focused on software, information technology, medical devices or material sciences are encouraged to apply. To register, visit the registration page.
- Sept. 4, 2014 - Coastal Connect Entrepreneur and Capital Conference
CIE in the News
- Wilmington startups looking for a few good ‘angels’ - Port City Daily, 07.24.14
- Startup Experience Lands HUGO Co-founder In Larger Startup Pond, GWBJ, 07.24.14
- Oracle CIO Talks Tech - GWBJ, 07.18.14
- Wilmington company aims to improve elections - Port City Daily, 06.25.14
- Panel Shares Tips for Securing Early-stage Investment - GWBJ, 06.20.14
- Coworking Hives Create Growing Buzz - GWBJ, 06.06.14
- What's next for Next Glass? Beer & wine app a 'best investment' - Port City Daily, 05.22.14
- Next Glass Wins At Startup Showcase - GWBJ, 05.16.14
- SBA Solicits Applications For Business Accelerator Competition - GWBJ, 05.14.14
- Talking pain points: What keeps employers up at night - WRALTechWire, 04.25.14
- UNCW event aims to link entrepreneurs with major corporations - Star News, 04.24.14
- Companies Discuss Challenges; Ask For Solutions - GWBJ, 04.24.14
- Technology Earns Startups Time On Stage - GWBJ, 04.15.14
- The lucky-to-be-alive Wilmington entrepreneur behind an 'extreme super food' - Triangle Business Journal, 04.14.14
- Partnership Connects Centers To Benefit Startups - GWBJ, 04.07.14
- Program helps veterans realize entrepreneurial dreams - Port City Daily, 04.04.14
- UNCW CIE Director Roberts Named a Reviewer for NC IDEA - UNCW, 03.26.14
- Don't Stereotype Startups in Wilmington - !ExitEvent, 03.19.14
- 'Optimism' expressed for local innovation economy - Port City Daily, 03.14.14
- Center Events Stretch Entrepreneurial Thinking, Boundaries - GWBJ, 02.21.14
- Bridges to Business - Business Radio X, 01.20.14
- Print 3D, everyday items? Local entrepreneurs laud the possibilities - Port City Daily, 01.17.14
UNCW Global Entrepreneurship Week
The CIE is proud to host local events as part of this worldwide week in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation that has inspired more than 10 million people in 102 countries, touching aspiring entrepreneurs from major cities to remote villages through some 58,000 events.
Coastal Entrepreneurship Awards
This annual event provides an opportunity for local entrepreneurs and growing companies to be recognized for their innovation and achievements. Ten category winners and entrepreneur of the year award are selected by a distinguished panel of judges and announced at the awards ceremony.
Rocket Pitch Event
This semi-annual and highly publicized event selects up to five of the Cape Fear region’s most exciting emerging startup companies and provides a venue for each founder to deliver a 10-minute presentation on the business and financial model, product(s), growth strategy, risks and resources needed.
Fall 2013 Rocket Pitch Videos:
Spring 2012 Rocket Pitch Videos:
- Elizabeth Logan: MyoMed
- Dan Tompkins: The Teacher Registry
- Shaun Olsen: Cloud Wyze
- Kristen Beckmeyer: PipeView Technologies, LLC
- Terry Linehan: An Independent Film
The mentor program is designed to connect emerging entrepreneurs, who are currently building companies for the first time, with established entrepreneurs who have started multiple companies and/or are currently leading large organizations.
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
A key partner, the SBTDC provides free counseling services to entrepreneurs and business owners covering the complete range of key topics including managing finances, developing a marketing plan and managing a growing venture.
The goal of the program is to educate high school students on entrepreneurship and starting a business as well as leadership and team building skills. The program will involve a combination of classroom teaching, outdoor team building activities and hands on opportunities to develop a new business idea.
Have a Program Idea or Recommendation?
The UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship always welcomes recommendations and ideas for improving existing programs and introducing new ones that help support its mission and the entrepreneurship community.