2015 Upcoming Events
CIE in the News
- UNCW entrepreneurship center creates 'paying advisory board' - WECT 09.16.2015
- Lapetus Secures Funding, Plans Pilot Tests - GWBJ, 06.08.15
- UNCW's CIE celebrates growth, looks ahead to future leadership - Port City Daily, 05.26.15
- The new face of aging: UNCW professor turns life expectancy research into business - Port City Daily, 05.18.15
- Putting Buzzwords To Work - GWBJ, 05.18.15
- UNCW student has dream of green gym - Star News, 05.11.15
- Flippze Focuses On Student Users - GWBJ, 05.08.15
- UNCW Officials Look at CIE's Future - GWBJ, 03.27.15
- Tick-killing robot inventors open business office in Wilmington - Triangle Business Journal, 03.05.15
- UNC Wilmington Focuses on Building Region's Biotech and Medical Industries - Time Warner Cable News, 02.26.15
- Wireless Technology Goes To The Dogs - GWBJ, 02.17.15
- Why a new focus on entrepreneurship in Wilmington? - WRAL TechWire, 02.09.15
- Wilmington-based company says it's built a better baby bottle - Star News, 02.07.15
- 2014: Wilmington Proved It's a Town for Tourists And Startups - ExitEvent, 12.31.14
- UNCW's CIE Supports Veterans on the Road to Entrepreneurship - UNCW, 12.22.14
- Event Explores Social Marketing, Celebrates 'great' Year For Center - GWBJ, 12.18.14
2015 NEW Programs
Want to learn the fundamentals of building an app? Interested in the world of tech and startups in Wilmington? Think learning to code could be for you orjust want to learn the basics? We have you covered in our 2 week intensive Pop Up Code School!
The Tech Talent South team is going on tour to offer coding and web development pop up boot camps all over the country! Our next bootcamp kicks off in Wilmington, NC August 3rd-August 14th at none other than, UNCW's Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship!
So what's the schedule like?...
Pop Up Code Wilmington is Monday-Friday evenings (August 3rd-August 14th) from 6-9 PM | and Saturday (August 8th) 8 AM-2 PM
This consolidated two-week crash course will offer you the opportunity to
jump right into your local tech scene by connecting with other amazing people,
sharing your own ideas and innovations, and learning the skills you need to
Highlights of the Pop Up Code Include:
- Ruby on Rails
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Domain Modeling for database-backed web applications
- Understanding and utilizing APIs
Think this sounds up your alley? We're offering UNCW students 15% off with the code 'UNCW student' in the 'how did you hear about us' box! Our applications are currently open to the Wilmington area!So get to coding, here.
Weekly High Tide Breakfasts
Two startups have 6 minutes to provide value proposition pitches followed by Q&A. Then a guest mentor is provided 6 minutes to share with the group their experiences and how they can help the startups at CIE.
Entrepreneur Boot Camp
Eight week program for CIE tenants and members, inspired by TechStars, for startups to hear from experienced entrepreneurs and investors about company architecture, selling, branding and marketing, financial modeling, and several other key topics to build a successful startup. At the end of camp, startups have the opportunity to participate in a Rocket Pitch style event.
Cucalorus 10x10 Project-REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
The 21st annual Cucalorus Film Festival brings back Norwood Cheek's 10x10 filmmaking challenge that pairs ten filmmakers with ten entrepreneurs to produce a short video in less than a week. This hands-on program is made possible through an ongoing partnership between Cucalorus, Castle Branch Corp.’s tekMountain incubator and the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. The 10x10 program introduces creatives in the film industry to innovators in the world of emerging business and serves as a showcase for the growing community of entrepreneurs working in the Cape Fear region.
Check out our film that debuted Sunday, November 16, 2014 at Cucalorus! Thank you to our filmmaker, Khang Mai!
CIE tenants are provided opportunities to meet with visiting speakers and prensenters, usually around a scheduled event, to meet one on one for feedback to help grow their startups the right way.
CIE tenants and student startups who need media assistance such as photos, videos, and/or podcasts have access to the new CIE media room. Film Studies interns are available to assist with your project needs. Have a project? Complete this form to apply for assistance!
Other Programs and Support
Annual Coastal Entrepreneurship Awards
This annual event provides an opportunity for local entrepreneurs and growing companies to be recognized for their innovation and achievements. Ten category winners and entrepreneur of the year award are selected by a distinguished panel of judges and announced at the awards ceremony.
Rocket Pitch and Pivot Pitch Events
This once semi-annual and highly publicized event selects up to five of the Cape Fear region’s most exciting emerging startup companies and provides a venue for each founder to deliver a 10-minute presentation on the business and financial model, product(s), growth strategy, risks and resources needed.
UNCW Global Entrepreneurship Week
The CIE is proud to host local events as part of this worldwide week in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation that has inspired more than 10 million people in 102 countries, touching aspiring entrepreneurs from major cities to remote villages through some 58,000 events.
Fall 2013 Rocket Pitch Videos:
Spring 2012 Rocket Pitch Videos:
- Elizabeth Logan: MyoMed
- Dan Tompkins: The Teacher Registry
- Shaun Olsen: Cloud Wyze
- Kristen Beckmeyer: PipeView Technologies, LLC
- Terry Linehan: An Independent Film
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
A key partner, the SBTDC provides free counseling services to entrepreneurs and business owners covering the complete range of key topics including managing finances, developing a marketing plan and managing a growing venture.
Have a Program Idea or Recommendation?
The UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship always welcomes recommendations and ideas for improving existing programs and introducing new ones that help support its mission and the entrepreneurship community.