THE MOST RECENT INFORMATION ABOUT RECOMMENDATIONS / CREDENTIALS FOR EDUCATION STUDENTS IS COMING SOON! FOR UPDATED INFORMATION, PLEASE SEE THE EDUCATION EMPLOYMENT GUIDE.
Teaching Recommendation Forms
Nursing Recommendation Forms
General Recommendation Forms
What is a Self-Managed Credential File?
What documents make up a self-managed credential file?
Whom should I ask to write a letter of recommendation?
What do I need to do to ask someone to be a reference?
How do I obtain letters of recommendation?
How and when do school systems receive my self-managed credential file?
Step-by-step instructions on how to manage and send your self-managed credential file
Information on recommendation forms
THESE FORMS ARE FOR CURRENT UNCW STUDENTS AND ALUMNI ONLY
Completing Your Education / Teaching Credentials:
- A self-managed credential file consists of signed letters of recommendation written by references that are collected, maintained, administered and sent by you directly to prospective employers.
- Resume and / or cover letter
- Degree-posted transcript
- Letter of Completion from WSE
- 3-5 letters of recommendation
- Praxis scores, if necessary
- Cooperating / partnership teacher
- UNCW supervisor
- UNCW faculty
- Other teachers that observed you teaching
- Student organization advisor
- Field experience teacher
- Mentor teacher
- Principal / Assistant Principal
- Current or former employer
- Volunteer / community affiliation
- Always ask permission to use someone’s name as a reference and before you give them the reference form.
- Provide the reference with a current resume. This will give them a broader view of your qualifications.
- Keep them informed about your job search and bring them into your network.
- Be sure to send a thank you to each of your references after you have obtained employment.
- You may obtain letters of recommendation by requesting them directly from the writer, either confidential or non-confidential. The Teacher Recommendation Form is available online for you to forward to the writer by email in Word format. The form is found at the top of this page.
- Confidential Forms: Once the form is completed, the reference writer will email, fax or mail the confidential recommendation letter directly to the school system (It is important that you provide the HR contact information to the person writing the confidential form). The other option is to have him/her print it and put it in a sealed envelope for you to pick up. If you want the person to mail it directly to the school system, provide the writer a stamped, addressed envelope.
- Non-confidential forms: Email the form to the writer, ask him/her to complete it on the computer with an electronic signature, and then email it back to you as an attachment. You can save it on your computer and upload it into your secure SeaWork account.
- You, as the applicant, are responsible for supplying your credentials when requested by the employer or when completing your teaching application. You may complete your online application before your credentials are ready and the school systems will keep your application for one year. In some instances, employers do not request credentials until they have completed their initial screening process; in other instances, you need to send your completed file as soon as possible to the HR department in the school system.
- If you send it by email, you must follow-up to make sure Human Resources received the packet. Do NOT assume the Career Center will send out your credentials or that the HR office will contact us for them. They typically don’t ask for credentials…you are responsible for getting your documents to the HR office.
- Login to SeaWork at www.myseawork.com. Update your profile. We will NOT upload your Praxis Scores, degree-posted transcripts or letter of completion until your account is updated!! You must be sure to complete your address, email, major / certification area, and graduation/certification date.
- In SeaWork, go to My Account in the top bar and select My Documents. Scroll down to see the list of document categories. Go to the appropriate one and click on Upload File.
- Select your document from your computer, CD, or jump drive and name it appropriately…click Upload File.
- You will upload your resume, letters of recommendation (if non-confidential), and/or list of references with contact information (Confidential recommendation letters should be mailed or faxed directly to the school system by the reference writer).
- The Career Center will upload your transcript, Praxis Scores, and Letter of Completiononly if your profile is complete.
- Print your documents and mail them to the HR office, or you can save them on your computer and email them as attachments.
- Always, Always, Always follow-up on your submissions by phone.
- SeaWork is a safe place to store your documents in case you have computer problems. They are saved on a separate secured server.
Can the Career Center staff assist me with questions I might have about self-managed credential files or the education job search?
- Absolutely! We want you to be successful in your job search. We are pleased to meet with you individually to answer any questions you may have abut self-managed credentials, resumes, cover letters, job search strategies or career information.
- Both confidential and non-confidential recommendation forms can be accessed at the top of this page. Please be sure to ask your reference writer which form he/she prefers to use.
- Open the form and save it to your computer, then email it to whomever is writing the recommendation.
- The person filling out the recommendation form should save a copy on their own computer and email it back to you, or mail/fax it directly to the county school system.
- Confidential letters should be sent directly to the school system HR office (not individual principals). Please provide an addressed stamped envelope if the letter will be sent directly to the HR office. Confidential letters can also be printed and put in a sealed and signed envelope for you to pick up and mail with the rest of your documents.
- Non-confidential letters should be completed on the computer and emailed back to you, the student, as an attachment.
- From here, the student will follow the instructions above to email it (or print and fax/mail) to the County School System.
- Remember you also can add a one-page List of References to your online credential file that includes each of your reference’s name, title, mailing address, telephone number and email address. This will allow your potential employers to contact your references directly for verbal and/or written recommendations.