News and Information
Start Right, Start Now, if you would like instruction or need assistance on any equipment please see a fitness attendant..
Hours of operation
|Mon. - Thu.||6:30 a.m - 11:45 p.m.|
|Fri.||6:30 a.m. - 8:45 p.m.|
|Sat.||10:00 a.m. - 8:45 p.m.|
|Sun.||1:00 p.m. - 11:45 p.m.|
Harris Teeter Functional Training Area
The Harris Teeter Functional Training Area provides a space for you to utilize various pieces of fitness equipment to get a total body workout. Functional training is meant to develop the body to perform better through activities that occur in daily life. Featured equipment in the Harris Teeter Functional Training Area include:
FreeMotion is a line of cable based selectorized equipment. This allow the user to select a weight/resistance level and then perform your workout. This also requires to user to engage and stabilize muscles while performing the exercise on this strength line.
The LifeFitness Synrgy360s is a station of equipment that allows the user to utilize equipment to create a total body workout. Specific equipment on this station include: a heavy punching bag, battle ropes, bands, a step platform, pull-up bars, kettlebells, and a rebounder (trampoline) for medicine balls.
TRX is a total body workout utilizing your body weight. TRX is a suspension training system created by a Navy Seal. Using gravity, the user can change the intensity of his/her workout by adjusting the strap length and moving further/closer to the S Frame Anchor. For specific examples of exercises, visit www.trxtraining.com (external link) or ask a Fitness Team member on duty.
Dumbbells up to 40lbs are available in the Harris Teeter Functional Training Area. Adjustable benches and utility stools are also available for use.
There are 14 ViPRs available on the Harris Teeter Functional Training Area floor. Ranging in sizes, the ViPRs (Vitality, Performance, and Reconditioning) can provide a user with resistance to add to exercises such as squats, cleans, lunges, and sport specific training. For specific examples of exercises, visit www.viprfit.com (external link) or ask a Fitness Team member on duty.
The Fitness Center includes both cardio and strength equipment. There are 114 pieces of cardio equipment to utilize. In addition, patrons can create profiles to track workouts, watch tv, and even surf the web on most equipment! Patrons can even download the Preva App on their smartphone to take view workouts anytime and anywhere. The Fitness Center also houses almost 10,000 square feet of strength equipment. The strength line includes selectorized, plate loaded, and free weights.
Selectorized and Free Weight Area
- Selectorized Strength Training (Hoist, Matrix G7, Cybex VR3)
- Free Weight Room (Hoist, Hammer Strength, LifeFitness, StarTrac, Matrix)
- More than 51 pieces of Precor Cardio including treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, and Adaptive Motion Trainers (AMTs)
- Preva allows you to track your workouts virtually by creating a personal profile
- More than 56 pieces of cardio and core training stations
- Woodway Treadmills
- Cybex Arc Trainers
- Octane LateralX
- Matrix Climbmills
- Precor Steppers
- Concept2 Ergs
- Additional Precor Treadmills, Ellipticals, and Bikes
Fitness Center Policies
- Participants 16 years and older may use the Fitness Center
- Appropriate exercise clothing and footwear is required. Street clothes such as jeans, khakis, dress pants, or anything with zippers, buttons, or belts are prohibited.
- No gum, food, or beverages are allowed, except for water in a sealable plastic container (32 oz or less).
- Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please secure your personal belongings in a locker prior to exercising.
- Participants are encouraged to regularly monitor their own workout intensity and take water breaks frequently.