UNCW
Burney Center

Date Occupied:

  • 1985
  • Major renovations were begun in 2006, with the grand re-opening March 2008.

Historical Info:

  • The Burney Center is named in honor of John J. Burney, Jr., Wilmington native and advocate of UNCW. He was a veteran of W.W. II, serving in Europe with the 63rd infantry division. He was district solicitor of the 8th District (1953-1962). As a member of the N.C. State Senate (1967-1972), he introduced the bill to the General Assembly (in 1969) that authorized Wilmington College to become part of the University of North Carolina system. Mr. Burney was also a member of the State Board of Higher Education, trustee of N.C. Hospital, and member of the UNCW Board of Trustees (1981-1989), serving as chairman (1982-1984).

Current Usage:

  • The renovated Burney Center includes a 9,300 square foot ballroom with five different space configurations. The facility will seat 500 guests for a banquet and 980 guests auditorium style. The facility includes a large lobby area, two "green" rooms, an events support office, excellent lighting and sound systems, and a spacious catering prep area.

Burney Center
University of North Carolina at Wilmington