Assessment in Support and Service Programs
Assessment starts with the purpose of the unit or service. If your unit has a mission statement, that purpose and the implicit or explicit goals of the units can be found it in. If your unit does not have a mission statement, writing one is the best place to start you assessment planning. You can also ask the following questions:
- Who does the office serve? Are there other stakeholders you are accountable to?
- What does the office provide to them?
From your program's mission, you will need to define program outcomes--what happens to those you service when you are successful at your mission. A unit should have outcomes that
- span the breadth of the unit's mission (be sure you are assessing all parts of the unit's charge)
- are measurable (you can collect data that directly links to and provides information about the outcomes)
- are meaningful (you will receive meaningful information about the unit, including strengths and areas for improvement, from the information you collect)
Sample Program Outcomes
- Program participants will report (or will attain) an increased understanding of the effects of humans on the oceans.
- The number of student attending UNCW from the Wilmington Housing Authority neighborhoods will increase..
- The Registrar's office will shorten the response time for transcript request.
- Career Services will facilitate quality internships in which students can apply what they've learned.
User Satisfaction Outcomes:
- Customers will be satisfied with the all aspect of their experience with Purchasing Services.
- Graduates will be satisfied with the services provided by the Career Center.
- Cultural Arts events will be well received and well attended by the community.
- Groups requesting conference space will be satisfied with all aspects of their experience.
- Membership in the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute will increase.
- Additional funds necessary for quality programming will be raised through grants.
- Groups requesting conference space will be satisfied with all aspects of their experience. (both impact and sustainability)
- The history department will secure undergraduate research funding and support for applied learning.