- Performance Registration Form (Fourth & Fifth Grade Classes)
- Performance Guide NEW!
- Professional Development Workshop for Band Directors
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Website
- Alvin Atkinson Website
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis
Tues., Feb. 28, 2012
910.962.3500 / 800.732.3643
Office of Cultural Arts
University of North Carolina Wilmington
601 S. College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403-5966
For more information about our educational outreach opportunities, please contact the Office of Cultural Arts at 910.962.3218 or email us.
Jazz at Lincoln Center
"Discovering the Groove in Jazz and You"
School Matinee Performance (Grades 4-5)
Thursday, Feb. 23, 2012
9:15 & 11:15 am, Kenan Auditorium
What does it mean to groove in jazz and in everyday life? Jazz at Lincoln Center's Alvin Atkinson and his Quartet explore the many infectious rhythms and grooves in jazz music—from swing to boogaloo to Afro-Cuban—and show you how to strike up your own groove on and off the bandstand. Performance length: 50 mins.
Curriculum Connections (Grades 4-5)
Social Studies: American history, culture and people of significance; N.C. history, culture and people of significance; African American history, culture and people of significance; / Language Arts: communication through different forms; critical/creative comprehension; poetry and rhythm / Music: music history and people of significance; different styles of music (Jazz, Blues, Swing, etc...); groove; rhythm; beats; improvisation; comprehension/analysis
Tickets & Information
Free for fourth and fifth grade students in New Hanover County. Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Download Registration Form
About the Residency
Jazz at Lincoln Center heads to Wilmington with their staff of acclaimed teaching artists and musicians!
During a weeklong residency, Jazz at Lincoln Center's quartet, under the direction of drummer Alvin Atkinson, conduct a series of outreach events, including:
- Master Classes and guest lecture appearances for UNCW students
- Professional Development Workshop for Regional Middle & High School Band Directors
- Clinics for students at Residency Host Schools, New Hanover High School and Myrtle Grove Middle School
- Two free school performances of "Discovering the Groove in Jazz and You" for fourth and fifth graders
- Family Concert featuring Jazz at Lincoln Center teaching artists and musicians, led by Alvin Atkinson, with special appearances by the Myrtle Grove Middle School Orchestra and New Hanover High School Jazz Band
Presented in partnership with Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Education Department and New Hanover County Schools.