Patty Fox, chair of the UNCW Staff Senate, hopes you will help “Feed the Need,” by donating non-perishable food and personal hygiene items. All month, the Staff Senate has been assisting with efforts to replenish the Wilmington Branch of the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina as part of a statewide effort to provide a month of service to North Carolina communities.
Fox, a grants officer in the Office of Research Services, has served on Staff Senate since 2009, becoming chair in July. Under her leadership, the food drive has been extended from two weeks to a month. In 2013, 1,702 pounds of food were collected at UNCW. This year, the goal is to collect 4,000 pounds.
“Staff Senate set an aggressive goal to double the amount of food collected this year to help replenish the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. It is important that we give back to our community and help feed those in need who are struggling to put a meal on the table. With the support of staff, faculty and students, I believe we can reach this goal,” says Fox.
Fox says the importance of contributing to this year’s food drive is best stated by UNCW Chancellor Emeritus James Leutze and current food bank chair. “As chairman, I can assure you that this is a needy organization – 80 percent of our recipients are children or elderly. The majority of the other 20 percent are working poor – all are dependent on the Food Bank or other charities to have an adequate diet. North Carolina has the fifth largest number of people in need of food assistance…there are a lot of hungry people out there.”
Please see the link for Food Drive Most Needed Items. Contact Patty Fox or Katie Lange (this week's Hot Seat guest) for questions about pickup of items from departments. Items can also be delivered to the bookstore.