Amount Raised- $66,521,331
July 2005 - January 2012
During the CAmpaign:
- 239 scholarships were created
- Eight distinguished professorships were endowed,
six at $1 million or more, and two at $500,0000
- About $60 million, or 91% of funds raised, were restricted to support specific scholarships, professorships, academic, athletic or other programs
- 48% of all commitments were made to the UNCW Endowment or the UNCW Foundation, generating $31.5 million in new endowment funding
- $6 million was raised by UNCW's Annual Fund, exceeding 100% of its goal
- $1.3 million was contributed by 1,229 current and former faculty and staff
- 44% of all campaign donors were UNCW alumni
More than $65 Million Raised, UNCW Campaign Completed Early
The official ending of The Campaign for UNCW: Soaring to Greatness was announced on Thursday, January 26, 2012. The campaign's $65 million goal was surpassed nearly a year ahead of the planned December 2012 conclusion.
The campaign was a comprehensive fundraising effort
focused on increasing private contributions to the
university in priority areas. Funds were raised in the
general categories of Student Excellence, Academic
Excellence, Faculty Excellence, Regional and Global
Engagement, the Annual Fund and Athletics.
The university's top priority for the campaign was to
increase the number of and funding for student scholarships,
and UNCW's donors indicated through their
overwhelmingly generous response that they agreed.
Over the course of the campaign, donors contributed
more than $29 million to create 239 new scholarships.
"Given the global impact of the economic recession, I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the success of this campaign and the clear dedication of our donors and supporters to our university." said Chancellor Gary L. Miller when announcing the completion of the campaign.
Miller stated that the planning and early fundraising
for the campaign began in July 2005, led by his
predecessor, Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo, whom he
called "a dedicated advocate for UNCW." The
final and public phase began in February 2011. At that time, UNCW had raised nearly 89% of the campaign goal, or more than $57 million. Having surpassed its final goal 11 months ahead of schedule, UNCW officially concluded the campaign on January 31, 2012.