- Updated and streamlined PUR 1.40 Application Form (revision date 09/2016)
The form has been simplified and reduced in length to one page. It can be signed digitally and forwarded in email, faxed, or printed and mailed. This PUR 1.40 will be used for all independent contractors regardless of payment method, either uShop or check request. If you have saved the old forms on your computer, please delete those files.
Click here to go to the IRS Website for additional instructions.
Procedure for Engaging the Services of an Independent Contractor
- Applicant must complete and sign Section 1 of the PUR 1.40 Application.
- Originating UNCW department completes Section II.
- If applicant will have unsupervised contact with students/minors, a Criminal Background Check Release Form must be completed by the applicant and submitted to Human Resources. The Cost of the background check will be charged to the initiating UNCW department. Department will notify approvers when background check is complete. The PUR 1.40 Application cannot be approved until the background check is completed.
- The UNCW Department and the applicant agree to the fees, nature of the service to be performed, payment schedule, and reimbursements (if any). The payment options must be entered in the payment option area of Section 2.2 of the PUR 1.40 Application.
Information for the payments options area of Section 2.2:
- Payment Option A - The gross service fee is processed through uShop with the PUR 140 Application
- Payment Option B - UNCW department can book and direct pay lodging. Lodging is processed through uShop with the PUR 1.40 attached to the requisition
- Payment Option C - UNCW department can book and prepay airfare via current approved travel agencies. See instruction for completing a Paper Travel Authorization Form.
- Payment Option D - For reimbursement of travel expenses, the department completes the Independent Contractor Travel Expense Reimbursement Form with original receipts and a copy of the PUR 1.40 Application attached and submits to the Travel Office.
- The completed PUR 1.40 form is attached to a requisition and routed through the uShop electronic approval process and a purchase order is created. Once the purchase order has been fully approved, the services may begin.
- Upon completion of service the uShop receipt is processed and invoice submitted to Accounts Payable. Payment is issued on the next available AP cycle. If there will not be an invoice, at the time the receipt is processed create a uShop comment addressed to email@example.com. In the comment notify Accounts Payable that there will not be an invoice and that you are ready for payment to be made.
- IRS Form W-9 should be mailed to the Accounts Payable Department at UNCW A/P, 601 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403-5903 or faxed to 910-962-7006.
- If applicant is a Non-Resident Alien, contact the Tax Office at 22757 and provide additional information and forms for the independent contractor and include a completed and approved application.
- PUR 1.40 Application is effective for 12 months from approval date provided that the scope of the service and the need for a criminal background check have not changed within the period.
- UNCW will only pay travel reimbursements to the independent contractor and not a 3rd party, such as a faculty or staff member on behalf of the independent contractor.
- For services totaling $10,000 or more, contact Purchasing to draft a Personal Services contract. Attach resume, biography, web link or CV. For services involving Contract and Grant funds, a PO is required and the Sponsored Programs and Research Compliance Office must also approve the PUR 1.40 Application.