We are now using uShop to process Independent Contractors and Performers/Lecturers. Not all the individuals that we hire are Independent Contractors. Answer these questions to help determine the procedure you will use:
1. Is the contractor incorporated? How can you tell? If the company's name ends in "Inc." or you may ask the salesman.
If “yes”, the firm is incorporated, we will use a uShop purchase order and the PUR 1.40 form will not be necessary. (There are some exceptions to this. We would process a PUR 1.40, for example, for very small firms or cases where we are naming a specific individual to perform the work.)
2. Is the service a performance or a lecture and the fee is greater than $10,000?
If "yes", contact Carol Page,Purchasing Services for the performance contract template which will be processed in uShop. A PUR 1.40 will not be used. The Performance Contract template incorporates a simplified version of the vendor background section, eliminating the need for the PUR 1.40 for this specific type of service provider. Warning - If using an individual who is a Foreign National, please first contact Lisa McWatty Jones, Tax Compliance Officer (see link above for details).
3. Is the contractor a UNCW student, inclusive of summer break?
If "yes", they will be paid as a student, which is not processed through Purchasing.
4. Is the individual an employee of UNCW, or another state of NC institution, or a retired recently from the state of NC?
If "yes", they will be paid as an employee under Dual Employment procedure, not as an Independent Contractor. Contact Lori Preiss or Julie Ricker-Hagler in Human Resources for information.
If “no” is the answer to all of the above questions, we will proceed with the PUR 1.40 form and the Independent Contractor Form in uShop. A combination of the following documents may be attached to a uShop "Independent Contractor Form" and submitted into workflow. uShop will route the correctly prepared cart to the Budget Authority, HR, Tax Compliance, Grant Officer, and the Buyer.
Required for independent contractors, regardless of the paid amount. Follow instructions on the form to complete and then attach to the "Independent Contractor Form" in uShop. Please note the form has been updated to accommodate electronic signatures, and now can be easily forwarded via e-mail (you may still print and fax if you do not have Adobe Acrobat.).Personal Services Contract
- Required for services exceeding $10,000 in a calendar year. (Optional for lesser amounts.)
- Contact Carol Page in Purchasing Services to draft the contract (The template is not posted on the website.)
Please have the following information available:
- Vendor's name, address, city, state, zip, and e-mail address;
- UNCW contact (name and department) who will oversee the work;
- Approximate completion date of the work;
- The "not to exceed" price of the services;
- Scope of Work - Description of the services that the vendor is expected to perform as well as additional info or specific criteria that you have, whatever you need to include that makes the contract as clear and complete as possible. The fees should be all inclusive. (Hotels, travel, supplies should not be billed separately if at all possible)
- Compensation - Full details of the rate and payment schedule. Generally, we pay with one check upon the successful completion of services, net 30. For longer projects we may create “milestones” so in the event you want to make two payments to the vendor, we might have something like: “Fee totaling $11,000.00, to be split in two payments of $5500.00. The first payment is to be paid upon the completion of Milestone 1. The balance will be paid once project is completed” .
- Fee must include all costs to UNCW. Travel/lodging arrangements and costs are the responsibility of the vendor unless required by contract.
- 4% NC Withholding tax may be withheld for certain performances in excess of $1500. Please contact Tax Compliance Officer for details.
Once the necessary documents are completed and attached to the uShop Independent Contractor form, they will be routed automatically to the Budget Authority, Human Resources, Tax Compliance Officer, and Purchasing. If a grant is being used to pay for the services, the documents will be forwarded to the Program Specialist in the Office of Sponsored Programs. ( If not approved, the reason will be noted on the form and the cart will be returned to the uShop Requestor.)