When to use a Requisition, Contract or Check RequestThere are a variety of ways to procure goods and services at UNCW. Below is a brief overview of each and the general situations that they are used in. If you have a purchase that does not seem to fit any of these categories, please do not hesitate to contact Purchasing for help.
When to enter a Requisition for a Purchase Order:
- Services and goods purchased from companies, but not an individual;
- Purchases of any amount, small or large;
- Purchases involving a vendor contract;
- Purchases involving a solicitation or bid. (More information about bids.)
When to use your Purchasing Card:
- The PCard is for smaller purchases of goods and services that do not involve a contract. (A contract includes terms and conditions followed by “I agree…” or “I accept….” on many web sites).
- Purchases within the transaction limits on individual’s card.
- One time charges
- Non-travel related
- More information about properly using a PCard
When to prepare a Check Request:
- Membership and institutional dues
- Registration fees
- Payment for “After the Fact” purchases – requires letter of justification as to why Purchasing Policy was not followed.
- Only for amounts less than $2500, payment for personal services to a non-employee. (Must be attached to an Independent Contractor Payment Certification form, approved by HR prior to the work beginning.)
- More information about check requests: http://www.uncw.edu/sp/admproc/05_105_Check_Req.htm
When to prepare a Personal Services (Independent Contractor) contract:
- Services are being provided by an individual (not a company);
- Total payment amount in excess of $2499 (A contract is advised but optional for smaller amounts);
- Non-state and /or non-student employee;
- Special note for grants: A requisition is used in conjunction with a contract when a grant fund (“5” account) will be used for payment.
- For more information about Personal Services, go to: http://www.uncw.edu/sp/admproc/05_105_Check_Req.htm