Getting Connected to the UNCW Wired Network
Students In Residence Halls
Students with Windows computers (does not pertain to Macs) will need to adjust the settings on your machines so that your wired access will work. Choose either step 1a or 1b.
Step 1a. Download Script
We recommend using Firefox or Chrome to download these scripts. If you are using Internet Explorer (IE), additional steps may be needed to run the script.
Save the .exe file to your computer and then run it. Your computer must be plugged into a wired port when you actually run the script. If you cannot connect to the UNCW wired network, we recommend that you plug into a wired port, connect to hawkwifi and save and run the script.
- Windows 7 Script (Save to computer first, then run script. Computer must be plugged into a wired port when you run it.)
- Windows 8 Script (Save to computer first, then run script. Computer must be plugged into a wired port when you run it.)
NOTE: If you see the following warning message, click "Yes."
Step 1b. Follow Step by Step Instructions
Plug your computer into the data jack in your residence hall room and connect to the Internet. Enter your UNCW username and password when prompted.
Faculty & Staff *
*NOTE: For faculty & staff in the following buildings, connect to the Internet with your UNCW username and password when prompted:
- Almkuist-Nixon Sports Medicine
- Carriage House
- Computer Information Systems
- Field House
- Fisher Student Center
- Fisher University Union
- Friday Annex
- Friday Hall
- Hanover Hall
- Housing & Res Life
- Kenan Auditorium
- Kenan Hall
- Kenan House
- King Hall
- Nixon Annex
- Oriole Burevitch Lab
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- Randall Library
- St. James
- Student Rec Center
- Wagoner Hall
- Watson College of Education
- Wise House
Step 1: Plug into the Data Jack
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the data jack in the room and into the back of your computer.
Step 2: Fill Out the Registration Form
- Windows XP or above and Mac OS X will normally detect and install your Ethernet card and configure TCP/IP automatically:
- Start your computer and open an Internet browser (such as Internet Explorer or Safari).
- Surf to a non-UNCW related Web page to access the UNCW Network Registration page (This page may load automatically).
- Fill in all required fields and click the "Activate Adapter" button.
Step 3: Reboot your computer once you have filled out the form.
Need Help? Please call the Technology Assistance Center (TAC) at 910-962-4357 (HELP) to make an appointment if you cannot successfully connect your computer to the network.