Equipment Status Changes
UNCW Policy for University Equipment 05.164
Lost or Stolen Equipment
- The Authorized University Official is responsible for notifying University
Police immediately if equipment is lost or stolen, whether or not the
equipment has a fixed asset tag. In addition, for assets with a value of $5000
or more, a Movable Equipment Form (Order Form #CD-0028) must be
prepared and forwarded to Fixed Assets, with the police report attached. The
Fixed Assets Administrator will report missing equipment to the Senior
Officers. (See UNCW Policy 02.300 ‘Reporting and Investigating Misuse or
Theft of University Property’ for additional information concerning the theft
of university property.)
- A list of all missing university equipment valued at $5000 or more is
circulated in conjunction with the annual physical inventory of fixed assets
for two years. If any missing equipment is found, departments are
responsible for notifying the Fixed Assets Administrator.
- Missing fixed assets that are reported as lost remain on the department’s fixed
asset inventory until the missing equipment list has been circulated with the
annual physical inventory the second year. If not found at that time, the
equipment is declared permanently lost and removed from the department’s
fixed asset inventory.
- Fixed assets reported as stolen are immediately removed from the
department’s fixed asset inventory when both a Movable Equipment Form
and Police Report have been received in the Fixed Assets Department.
Temporary relocation of equipment
- Departments are required to maintain a current record of any temporary
relocation (using the Equipment Temporary Check-Out List or
comparable form – see Related Links) whenever equipment is removed
from the custody of the department or the employees to which the
equipment is normally assigned, regardless of whether or not the
equipment meets the fixed asset definition.
- Equipment may be temporarily relocated with prior department head
approval. Except for repairs, the temporary removal of equipment is
authorized only for university departments, employees, or for members of the
SGA (when SGA equipment is involved). Off-campus use should be for
work on a university assignment.
- Removal of university equipment for off-campus use without department head
approval may result in the individual being prosecuted for misappropriation
of state property and/or larceny. University equipment used off campus or
loaned to another campus department or activity is subject to immediate
return if requested by university officials, state auditors, or other state
- Personal Use
Items purchased with university funds are the property of the state and are not
intended for personal use.
Transfers between departments
- The listing provided by Fixed Assets is the official record of fixed assets for
which the department's authorized university official is responsible.
- When fixed asset items are permanently transferred to another department or
relocated, or when any equipment items are lost, stolen, or traded in, prepare
a Movable Equipment form to notify the Fixed Assets Administrator t so that
appropriate records may be adjusted.
- Attach documentation as specified on the Movable Equipment form, and
distribute the form as indicated.
- If Moving Services is needed to move equipment to any location other than
Surplus Property, also submit a Moving Services Request. A Moving
Services Request is not needed when items are sent to Surplus Property.
- Before allowing the equipment to be removed, obtain the signature of Moving
Services (or, if applicable, another individual who is removing the
equipment) on the departmental copy of the Movable Equipment form.
Forms and Links
Surplus Property (U-Business)
Moveable Equipment Form
Equipment Temporary Checkout List Form